FIU Biscayne Bay Campus | International Coastal Cleanup
Scientists estimate that more than 17 billion pounds of plastic enters our ocean every year threatening not only marine life from coral polyps to sharks but the health of people, and our local economies. Join us for the 33rd annual International Coastal Cleanup (ICC) the world's largest, one-day volunteer effort for our oceans and waterways, and show your commitment to reducing marine debris, along with volunteers from across the globe!
VolunteerCleanup.org organizes Miami-Dade’s local participation in this global event with 45+ simultaneous shoreline cleanups around the county and is made possible by the generous support of our presenting sponsor, Covanta, with additional support from the City of Miami Beach MB Rising Above, Capital One, Revolution 93.5 FM, and MB Miami Beach Suncare.
We will provide garbage bags, data collection cards, sunscreen, insect repellent, and a souvenir tote bag with this year’s marine animal theme, the Puffer Fish!
Community Service hours will be provided upon request.
Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all information and details about the event and can accurately plan for turnout.
· Dress for the weather and wear appropriate foot-wear:
This site is predominately rocky shoreline and mangrove prop roots. Please be sure to wear closed-toed shoes that can get wet such as old sneakers or water shoes, NO FLIP FLOPS OR SANDALS.
· Sunglasses and hat are highly recommended.
· Bring gloves if you have them (we suggest reusable working, gardening or dish gloves that you can pick up at the grocery store/home depot) We will have some onsite but cannot guarantee they will be in your size!
· Bring water in a reusable container. 5 gallon water coolers will be provided on the day of the event, but you will need your own container to fill in order to reduce waste and the use of single-use disposable plastic water bottles.
· **If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver below in advance. Download Waiver
· Volunteers must check-in and sign waivers before any materials (bags, cards, or gift bags can be distributed)
Before the event, download the Ocean Conservancy’s CleanSwell app to participate in the Citizen Science activity to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. It’s easier and more fun than using the paper data cards!
· Volunteers should meet on the east side of campus by the bay, behind the pool and Hospitality Management building. A map showing the location of check-in will be provided via registration email before the event.
· Parking is available on-site at the rate of $3/day via the Pay By Phone app.
· Light refreshments will be provided in the morning.
· This site is suitable for all ages but young children should be accompanied by an adult.
About International Coastal Cleanup:
Over the past 33 years, Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup has brought together nearly 13 million people from over 150 countries to collect nearly 250 million pounds of trash along our coastlines and waterways.
Every year during Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup®, volunteers comb lakes, rivers and beaches around the world for trash, picking up everything imaginable along the world’s shorelines: cigarette butts, food wrappers, abandoned fishing gear and even automobiles and kitchen appliances.
By volunteering at ICC, you will be actively participating in a global citizen science project, not only by removing marine debris, but by also cataloguing and tallying what you find using the Ocean Conservancy’s data collection cards or Clean Swell app. The resulting item-by-item, location-by-location Ocean Trash Index that Ocean Conservancy compiles each year provides the only global snapshot of the marine debris littering coasts and waterways around the world.
North Miami, FL 33181-3605
Google map and directions