Sandspur Islands | International Coastal Cleanup
The South Florida Association of Environmental Professionals (SFAEP) and Florida Master Naturalist Program (FMNP) invite you to International Coastal Cleanup Day at the Sandspur Islands, located near Oleta River State Park in the Biscayne Bay Aquatic Preserve.
Ocean trash is a serious pollution problem that affects the health of people, wildlife and local economies. Join the world’s largest volunteer effort for our ocean and waterways by participating in International Coastal Cleanup
Transportation to the islands cannot be provided by SFAEP or FMNP but a limited number of free kayak rentals will be available through BG Oleta River Outdoors."
- Everyone that participates should register online individually. We must have your name on the RSVP list as an individual (or your parent) in order for you to get the giveaway goodie bag.
- Volunteers must check in and sign waivers before any materials (bags, cards, or gift bags can be distributed)
- **If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver below in advance. https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/cleanup/pages/310/attachments/original/1469817777/MDCC_Cleanup_Release_Waiver.pdf?1469817777
Volunteers should bring:
- Water in a reusable container (please don’t create more waste with plastic water bottles)
- Wear appropriate closed toes shoes or water shoes and comfortable clothes
- Sunscreen, insect repellent, and hat are highly recommended
*International Coastal Cleanup will provide garbage bags, data collection cards, gloves, and community service forms
In 2015, more than 18 million pounds of trash was collected by nearly 800,000 volunteers during the International Coastal Cleanup. Here in Miami Dade, we collected 17,500 pounds of marine debris from 31 miles of coastline.
By volunteering at ICC, you will be actively participating in a global citizen science project, not only by removing marine debris, but by also cataloguing and tallying what you find using the Ocean Conservancy’s data collection cards or Clean Swell App. The resulting item-by-item, location-by-location Ocean Trash Index that Ocean Conservancy compiles each year provides the only global snapshot of the marine debris littering coasts and waterways around the world.
We need your help to keep this momentum going.
North Miami Beach, FL 33160
Google map and directions