The Give Back Squad- Melia |International Coastal Cleanup
We'll meet at the office at 800 Brickell to park and check-in and then walk over to the cleanup location. Bring sneakers as we will be cleaning the marina amongst rocks. Feel free to bring anyone who would like to help. Thanks for the support!
Scientists have estimated that more than 17 billion pounds of plastic enter our ocean yearly, which threatens marine life and land species too, along with human health and local economies. Help us make an impact at the 33rd annual International Coastal Cleanup (ICC) the world's largest, one-day volunteer effort, where you can commit to reducing marine debris in unison with volunteers from across the globe!
Presented by Covanta, VolunteerCleanup.org organizes Miami-Dade’s participation in this global event with 45+ simultaneous shoreline cleanups around the county and is made possible with additional support from The City of Miami Beach and MB Rising Above, Capital One, Revolution 93.5 FM, and MB Miami Beach Suncare.
VolunteerCleanup will provide garbage bags, data collection cards, insect repellent, and a souvenir tote bag with this year’s marine animal theme, the Puffer Fish!
Community Service hours provided!
Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all the information and details about the event and can accurately plan for turnout.
Volunteers should please:
- Dress for the weather and wear closed-toed shoes like sneakers as we will be cleaning the marina amongst rocks
- Wear sunglasses and/or a hat for sun protection
- Bring gloves if you have them (we suggest reusable working, gardening or dish gloves that you can pick up at the grocery store/home depot) We will have some onsite but cannot guarantee they will be in your size!
- Bring water in a reusable container, as an event goal will be to strictly limit "single-use disposable plastics. Let’s reduce waste and refuse single-use disposable plastic water bottles, where possible.
- **If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver below in advance. Download Waiver
- Volunteers must check-in and sign waivers before any materials (bags, cards, or gift bags can be distributed)
We suggest that you:
Download the Ocean Conservancy’s CleanSwell app to participate in the Citizen Science activity to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. It’s easier and more fun than using the paper data cards!
About International Coastal Cleanup
Over the past 33 years, Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup has brought together nearly 13 million people from over 150 countries to collect nearly 250 million pounds of trash along our coastlines and waterways.
We are excited that you will join us for this day of positive community impact - a global citizen science project. We will not only remove large quantities of potential marine debris but also catalogue, categorize, and tally what we collect via the Ocean Conservancy Clean Swell app (or data cards). The resulting fine-scale data will support the Ocean Trash Index, an indicator updated annually by the Ocean Conservancy to provide the only global snapshot of the marine debris littering coasts and waterways around the world.
Miami, FL 33131
Google map and directions