Clarington Island Cleanup
Hosted by the Coconut Grove Sailing Club and Environment Committee of the Woman’s Club of Coconut Grove with participation of the Rotary Club of Coconut Grove. Please help continue the cleanup efforts from Earth Day by your commitment to preserve and protect Clarington Island by reducing marine debris in Biscayne Bay.
Volunteer hours and refreshments after cleanup will be provided.
The Coconut Gove Sailing Club (CGSC) has been stewards to the Dinner Key Picnic Island "E" since the last century. Many club members have put in their time and energy cleaning the island. In 2015, CGSC began working with VolunteerCleanup.org and invited the community to get more involved and started new partnerships. Members of the community are invited to participate.
- Registration is at 9:00 am.
- Launch service to island will be available after registration. Transportation back will begin at 11:30. There are no restrooms on the island and launch service cannot be guaranteed for that purpose.
- All volunteers will need a signed waiver. If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver: https://forms.gle/KMa7umSJJdLD2uoZA
- Appropriate for children over 10 with adult supervision till age 14 and must wear a life vest while on the launch. Older children do not need an adult, but must bring signed waiver.
- Parking is available on the street or the garage at 2889 McFarlane Road. Parking at the Sailing Club is for members only.
- Meeting spot is under the clubhouse inside the gate.
- Volunteers must wear closed-toed shoes like sneakers or watershoes, no flipflops or sandals!” comfortable clothes (clothes that you do not mind getting wet and dirty).
- Hats and sunglasses are highly recommended.
- Bring gloves if you have them (we suggest reusable working, gardening or dish gloves that you can pickup at the grocery store or Shell Lumber. We have some a limited number of work, and kitchen.
- Bring water in a reusable container (please don’t create more waste by bringing plastic water bottles to clean up plastic water bottles!)
- 3 Community Service Hours will be provided for students actively participating in the cleanup. Please be on time to collect your hours.
- 5 gallon plastic bucket are great to bringBefore the event, download the Ocean Conservancy’s CleanSwell app to participate in the Citizen Science activity to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. It’s easier and more fun than using the paper data cards!
Registration is encouraged to participate. Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all information and details about the event and can accurately plan for turnout.
Coconut Grove, FL 33133
Google map and directions