Clarington Island Friends at Shake a Leg Miami Cleanup for World Sailing
In preparation for World Sailing 2018, Clarington Island Friends will be hosting 2 cleanups on Saturday, January 20. Join us as we welcome sailors from around the world who will be competing the next week and continue the needed Irma cleanups. Debris from Hurricane Irma is still a problem along the coast of Biscayne Bay in Coconut Grove.
Garbage bags, Miami Beach Suncare sunscreen, insect repellent, and community service hours certificate, Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all information and details about the event.
Community partners include Coconut Grove Chamber of Commerce; Biscayne Bay Foundation; the Rotary Clubs of Coconut Grove and Brickell; Woman's Club of Coconut Grove. Special thanks to the many City of Miami departments and Ken Russel and staff for supporting our cleanups.
- Registration begins at 8:30
- Volunteers must check-in and sign waivers before any materials can be distributed
- Appropriate for children over 8 with adult supervision till age 14. Older children do not need an adult, but must bring signed waiver.
- City of Miami Parking is available on site.
- Meeting spot is by the boat ramps.
- Wear closed toes shoes and comfortable clothes that you do not mind getting wet and dirty. No flip-flops. Hats and sunglasses are highly recommended.
- Bring gloves (we suggest reusable working, gardening or dish gloves that you can pickup at the grocery store/home depot or Shell Lumber. We have some a limited number of work, and kitchen. Medical grade gloves have been donated by Sharp Dentistry.
- We need a few rakes and hedge clippers for this project.
- Bring snacks and water in a reusable container (please don’t create more waste by bringing plastic water bottles to clean up plastic water bottles!) Additional water will be available for refill.
- 3 Community Service Hours will be provided for students actively participating in the cleanup. Please be on time to collect your hours. An additional hour will be awarded for using the Clean Swell app.
- 5 gallon plastic bucket are great to bring. We have a limited supply.
***All volunteers will need a signed waiver. If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver below in advance. Download Waiver
Before the event, download the Ocean Conservancy's CleanSwellDebris from Hurricane Irma is still a problem along the coast of Biscayne Bay in Coconut Grove. app to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup.
Use “Worlds SALM” as the location.
With Clean Swell, the data you collect will upload to Ocean Conservancy’s global ocean trash database in real time. It’s easier and more fun than using the paper data cards! You can download the app here:
Paper data cards will be available for those who do not use apps.
Coconut Grove, FL 33133-5424
Google map and directions