Clarington Island Hurricane Irma Cleanup
The effects of Hurricane Irma cancelled the last two Island Cleanups, plus contributed lots of additional debris to the island. It is going to be a big job and your help is needed. Access will be by the beach and be prepared to get your feet and ankles wet.
Ocean trash is a serious pollution problem that affects the health of people, wildlife and local economies. Join the world’s largest volunteer effort for our ocean and waterways by participating in International Coastal Cleanup. Garbage bags, data collection cards, MB Suncare sunscreen, insect repellent, and a community service hours certificate. Garbage bags, data collection cards, MB Suncare sunscreen, insect repellent, and a community service hours certificate. Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all information and details about the event.
This is the revised kick off of the Coconut Grove Sailing Club’s Clarington Island Cleanup Season which will continue monthly until May. Community partners include Volunteer Cleanup Org; Coconut Grove Chamber of Commerce; Biscayne Bay Foundation; City of Miami; Rotary Clubs of Coconut Grove and Miami Brickell; and Woman's Club of Coconut Grove.
Access to the Island has been changed due to the damage caused by Irma. The launch boat will be taking volunteers to the beach section as close to the beach as possible. Therefore, be prepared to get your feet and lower legs wet.
- Registration begins at 8:30
- Launch service to island will be available after registration and at 11:30. There are no restrooms on the island and launch service can not be guaranteed for this purpose.
- Volunteers must register and sign waivers first.
- Additional check in and outs are required before going out to island.
- Appropriate for children over 10 with adult supervision till age 14 and must please bring their own life vest. Older children do not need an adult, but must bring signed waiver.
- Parking is available on the street or Sonesta Garage (2889 McFarlane Road). Parking at the Sailing Club is for members only.
- Meeting spot is under the clubhouse inside the gate.
- Wear closed toes shoes or water shoes and comfortable clothes (shoes and clothes that you do not mind getting wet and dirty). No flip-flops. Hats and sunglasses are highly recommended.
- Bring gloves (we suggest reusable working, gardening or dish gloves that you can pickup at the grocery store or Shell Lumber. We have some a limited number of work, and kitchen. Medical grade gloves donated by Sharp Dentistry
- Bring snacks and water in a reusable container (please don’t create more waste by bringing plastic water bottles to clean up plastic water bottles!) Additional water will be available for refill.
- 4 Community Service Hours will be provided for students actively participating in the cleanup. Please be on time to collect your hours.
- 5 gallon plastic bucket are great to bring. We have a limited supply.
- Refreshments will be served after the cleanup.
***All volunteers will need a signed waiver. If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver below in advance. Download Waiver
Before the event, download the Ocean Conservany’s CleanSwell app to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. With Clean Swell, the data you collect will upload to Ocean Conservancy’s global ocean trash database in real time. It’s easier and more fun than using the paper data cards! You can download the app here:
Paper data cards will be available for those who do not use apps.
Coconut Grove, FL 33133-6003
Google map and directions