Coconut Grove Sailing Club Clarington Island | International Coastal Cleanup
Ocean trash is a serious pollution problem that affects the health of people, wildlife and local economies. Join the world’s largest volunteer effort for our ocean and waterways by participating in International Coastal Cleanup. Garbage bags, data collection cards, MB Suncare sunscreen, insect repellent, and a community service hours certificate. Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all information and details about the event.
This is the kick off of the Coconut Grove Sailing Club’s Clarington Island Cleanup Season which will continue monthly until May. Community partners include Coconut Grove Chamber of Commerce; Biscayne Bay Foundation; City of Miami; Rotary Clubs of Coconut Grove and Miami Brickell; and Woman's Club of Coconut Grove.
Access to the Island has been changed due to the damage caused by Irma. The launch boat will be taking volunteers to the beach section as close to the beach as possible. Therefore, be prepared to get your feet and lower legs wet.
- Registration begins at 8:30
- Launch service to island will be available after registration and at 11:30. There are no restrooms on the island and launch service can not be guaranteed for this purpose.
- Volunteers must register and sign waivers first.
- Additional check in and outs are required before going out to island.
- Appropriate for children over 10 with adult supervision till age 14 and must please bring their own life vest. Older children do not need an adult, but must bring signed waiver.
- Parking is available on the street or Sonesta Garage (2889 McFarlane Road). Parking at the Sailing Club is for members only.
- Meeting spot is under the clubhouse inside the gate.
- Wear closed toes shoes or water shoes and comfortable clothes (shoes and clothes that you do not mind getting wet and dirty). No flip-flops. Hats and sunglasses are highly recommended.
- Bring gloves (we suggest reusable working, gardening or dish gloves that you can pickup at the grocery store or Shell Lumber. We have some a limited number of work, and kitchen. Medical grade gloves donated by Sharp Dentistry
- Bring snacks and water in a reusable container (please don’t create more waste by bringing plastic water bottles to clean up plastic water bottles!) Additional water will be available for refill.
- 4 Community Service Hours will be provided for students actively participating in the cleanup. Please be on time to collect your hours.
- 5 gallon plastic bucket are great to bring. We have a limited supply.
- Refreshments will be served after the cleanup.
***All volunteers will need a signed waiver. If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver below in advance. Download Waiver
Before the event, download the Ocean Conservany’s CleanSwell app to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. With Clean Swell, the data you collect will upload to Ocean Conservancy’s global ocean trash database in real time. It’s easier and more fun than using the paper data cards! You can download the app here:
Paper data cards will be available for those who do not use apps.
In 2016 more than 18 million pounds of trash was collected by over 500,000 volunteers during the International Coastal Cleanup. Here in Miami Dade, we collected 15,000 pounds of marine debris from 31 miles of coastline.
By volunteering at ICC, you will be actively participating in a global citizen science project, not only by removing marine debris, but by also cataloguing and tallying what you find using the Ocean Conservancy’s data collection cards or Clean Swell App. The resulting item-by-item, location-by-location Ocean Trash Index that Ocean Conservancy compiles each year provides the only global snapshot of the marine debris littering coasts and waterways around the world.
We need your help to keep this momentum going.
**New for this year, the Miami version of the official 2017 International Coastal Cleanup t-shirt, with this year’s whales shark design is for sale. Shirts are $9 + s/h and can be pre-ordered now until September 6th if you want to have your shirt to wear to the cleanup on September 16th Order online here:
Coconut Grove, FL 33133-6003
Google map and directions