SeaKeepers Monthly Morningside Park Cleanup
Come join SeaKeepers for our monthly cleanup at Morningside Park! Weather permitting, we will cleanup all along the waterside with the option to kayak or paddleboard to the nearby Picnic Islands. Make sure to visit the SeaKeepers tent for check-in, and then instructions and a safety-briefing will be given to the group!
You are welcome to join us on foot or by paddle! SeaKeepers will NOT be providing kayaks. You may bring your own kayak or paddleboard, or kayak and paddleboard rentals are available from Morningside Watersports at a discounted rate of 30% off when you mention you're with SeaKeepers! You will be able to paddle across Biscayne Bay to the nearby Picnic Islands to clean up there as well. A SeaKeeper will show you where to go!
- For contact-less check-in, bring your smart phone to the event.
- IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE YOU MUST COMPLETE A LIABILITY WAIVER HERE. You will not be allowed to participate without this form signed. Please do this when you RSVP/sign up so we can save time for cleaning on the day of the event!
- Recycling is encouraged! We would love for you to separate out any aluminum cans, glass bottles or plastic bottles that you find, as these are all accepted materials.
Supplies you can bring:
- 🦈 Reusable water bottle with water (no single-use plastic bottles!)
- 🦈 Reef-safe Sunscreen (make sure oxybenzone is NOT on the active ingredients list!)
- 🦈 Comfortable shoes
- 🦈 Download the app Marine Debris Tracker, and click here for a quick tutorial on how to use the app, and get ready to utilize the Marine Debris Tracker App to help create a bigger picture of marine debris and plastic pollution through collecting open data, generating scientific findings, informing policy, and inspiring upstream design.
*You can earn extra community service hours by participating!
- 🦈 Follow and monitor our Instagram page, @seakeepers for updates!
We will provide:
- 🦈 Garbage bags
- 🦈 Reusable gloves
- 🦈 Hand Sanitizer
- 🦈 Extra water
- 🦈 Community Service Hours / Service Learning Hours
- Please note, the cleanup is 2 hours long, so that is how many hours we will give for community service. However, if you use the Marine Debris Tracker to record trash data, we will give you FIVE hours!
Marine debris isn't an ocean problem - it's a people problem. Be part of the solution!
Parking: Park in lot 7 (the first lot on your left as you enter, or the last lot on your right as you exit) near the kayak launch.
Cancellation or Postponing: Cleanup will proceed as scheduled rain or shine, and cleanups will only be affected by the presence of lightning. Any extreme or hazardous weather will be monitored closely and the final call will be made to cancel or postpone a cleanup 2 hours prior to the start of the cleanup. For example, a 9am cleanup that is being postponed due to weather will be cancelled at 7am. Volunteers will be notified by email.
Miami , FL 33137
Google map and directions