MIAMI SWIM WEEK | Collins Park 21st street | International Coastal Cleanup 2021
The annual International Coastal Cleanup Day (ICC) is harnessing the Power of People to Fight Ocean Trash! Miami Swim Week is proud to partner with VolunteerCleanup.Org to host a site during the world's largest, one-day volunteer effort for our oceans and waterways. Show your commitment to reducing marine debris, along with volunteers from across the globe!
Spearheaded globally by the Ocean Conservancy, VolunteerCleanup.org organizes Miami-Dade County’s local participation in this worldwide event with 45+ simultaneous shoreline cleanups around the county. The Miami-Dade ICC is made possible by the generous support of our tidal sponsor Covanta, with additional support from Banesco USA, Blackstone Charitable Foundation, Miami-Dade County RER-DERM, Pubbelly Sushi, WPLG Local 10, and with special thanks to the Benjamin & Gloria Joannou, Jr. Family Conservation Fund.
We will provide garbage bags, data collection cards, sunscreen, water refills, and a souvenir tote bag with this year’s marine animal theme, the Pelican! Community Service hours also provided. Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all the information and details about the event and so that we can accurately plan for turnout. This year's shirts are available for purchase here!
We will have a registration table set up on the promenade at 21st street and Miami beach by the Blue lifeguard stand
- COVID SAFETY - Please wear face masks for check-in and when you cannot be 6 feet away from non-family members
- Dress for the weather and wear appropriate foot-wear for walking on the beach
- Sunglasses and hat are highly recommended
- Bring gloves if you have them (we suggest reusable working, gardening or dish gloves that you can pick up at the grocery/home supply store) We will have some onsite but cannot guarantee they will be in your size.
- Bring water in a reusable container. Let’s reduce waste and refuse single-use disposable plastic water bottles, where possible. We will have a water cooler for cold refills in your BYO bottle.
- Complete the online waiver here in advance to expedite check-in. **If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian print and sign the waiver HERE in advance Volunteers must check-in and sign waivers before any materials (bags, cards, or gift bags can be distributed)
- Before the event, download the Ocean Conservancy’s CleanSwell app to participate in the Citizen Science activity to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. It’s easier and more fun than using the paper data cards!
About the International Coastal Cleanup:
Scientists estimate that more than 17 billion pounds of plastic enter our ocean every year threatening marine life from corals polyps to sharks, the health of people, and local economies
Over the past 34 years, Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup has brought together nearly 13 million people from over 150 countries to collect nearly 250 million pounds of trash along our coastlines and waterways. Every year during Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup, volunteers comb lakes, rivers, and beaches around the world for trash picking up everything imaginable along the world’s shorelines: cigarette butts, food wrappers, abandoned fishing gear and even automobiles and kitchen appliances.
By volunteering at ICC, you will be actively participating in a global citizen science project, not only by removing marine debris but by also cataloging and tallying what you find using the Ocean Conservancy’s data collection cards or Clean Swell app. The resulting item-by-item, location-by-location Ocean Trash Index that Ocean Conservancy compiles each year provides the only global snapshot of the marine debris littering coasts and waterways around the world.
Miami Beach, FL 33140
Google map and directions