Miami-Dade Tobacco-Free Workgroup Hobie Beach | International Coastal Cleanup
Rescheduled for October 21st
Be part of the world's largest volunteer effort to clean up our oceans!
In 2016, more than 18 million pounds of trash was collected by over 500,000 volunteers during the International Coastal Cleanup. Here in Miami Dade, we collected 15,000 pounds of marine debris from 31 miles of coastline.
Please join us at Hobie Island Beach Park for The 2017 International Coastal Cleanup.
Ocean trash is a serious pollution problem that affects the health of people, wildlife and local economies. Join the world’s largest volunteer effort for our ocean and waterways by participating in International Coastal Cleanup.
We will provide garbage bags, data collection cards, sunscreen, insect repellent, community service hours certificate, and a giveaway goodie bag!
Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all information and details about the event.
Prior to Cleanup Day:
- Everyone that participates should register online (even if you are coming together)
- **If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver below in advance. Download Waiver
- Download the Ocean Conservancy’s CleanSwell app to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. With Clean Swell, the data you collect will upload to Ocean Conservancy’s global ocean trash database in real time. It’s easier and more fun than using the paper data cards! You can download the app here:
- Wear appropriate foot-wear (closed-toes shoes or water shoes) and comfortable clothes.
- Sunglasses and hat are highly recommended
- Bring gloves. We suggest reusable working, gardening or dish gloves.
- Bring snacks and water in a reusable container. Let’s reduce waste and refuse single-use disposable plastic water bottles, when possible.
Check-in/Day of information:
- We will be meeting volunteers at the main entrance directly across the street from MAST Academy.
- Volunteers must check-in and sign waivers before any materials are given.
- Parking is FREE.
- This site is suitable for all ages, but children 12 and under should be accompanied by an adult.
By volunteering at ICC, you will be actively participating in a global citizen science project, not only by removing marine debris, but by also cataloguing and tallying what you find using the Ocean Conservancy’s data collection cards or Clean Swell App. The resulting item-by-item, location-by-location Ocean Trash Index that Ocean Conservancy compiles each year provides the only global snapshot of the marine debris littering coasts and waterways around the world.
We need your help to keep this momentum going. We look forward to working together!
**New for this year, the Miami version of the official 2017 International Coastal Cleanup t-shirt, with this year’s whales shark design is for sale. Shirts are $9 Order online here:
Miami, FL 33149
Google map and directions