SFAEP Coastal Kayak Cleanup - Sandspur Islands at Oleta River State Park
Come help us clean up ocean trash from the Sandspur Islands at Oleta River State Park.
The cleanup event requires a short kayak trip (less than 1/2 hour) to the islands.
- Meeting at BG Oleta River Outdoors in Oleta River State Park (www.floridastateparks.org/park/Oleta-River)
- Transportation to the islands cannot be provided by SFAEP, but a limited number of FREE canoe/kayak rentals will be provided by BG Oleta River Outdoors.
- Wear comfortable clothes and closed-toed shoes like sneakers for working in mangroves (no flip-flops!)
- Sunglasses and hat are highly recommended
- Bring gloves (we suggest reusable working, gardening or dish gloves that you can pick up at the grocery-store/home depot)
- Bags for trash removal will be provided
- Bring snacks and water in a reusable container. Let’s reduce waste and refuse single-use disposable plastic water bottles, when possible.
- **If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver below in advance. Download Waiver Volunteers must check-in and sign waivers before any materials (bags, cards, or gift bags can be distributed)
Before the event, download the Ocean Conservancy's CleanSwell app to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. With Clean Swell, the data you collect will upload to Ocean Conservancy’s global ocean trash database in real time. It’s easier and more fun than using the paper data cards! You can download the app here:
North Miami Beach, FL 33160-4460
Google map and directions