Surfside Volunteer Beach Cleanup | International Coastal Cleanup
Rescheduled, Saturday October 14th, 9:30am
Ocean trash is a serious pollution problem that affects the health of people, wildlife, and local economies. Join the world’s largest volunteer effort for our ocean and waterways by participating in International Coastal Cleanup. We will provide garbage bags, data collection cards, sunscreen, insect repellent, community service hours certificate, and a giveaway goodie bag! Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all information and details about the event.
We will provide garbage bags, data collection cards, sunscreen, insect repellent, community service hours certificate, and a giveaway goodie bag! Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all information and details about the event.
Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all information and details about the event.
*We will be meeting at 9:00AM at the picnic tables on the beach in back of the Community Center
- Volunteers must check in and sign waivers before you start
- **If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver in the link below in advance and bring it to the event. Download Waiver
- Please come prepared to participate for the entire event.
- Wear appropriate beach shoes or water shoes and comfortable clothes.
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats are highly recommended
- Bring gloves (we suggest reusable working, gardening or dish gloves that you can pick up at the grocery store/home depot)
- Bring Water in a reusable container. Let’s reduce our plastic waste and refuse single-use disposable plastic water bottles, when possible.
- Everyone that participates must register online. (even if you are coming together)
- Metered parking is located across the street from the Community Center or across from the police department.
Before the event, download the Ocean Conservancy’s CleanSwell app to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. With Clean Swell, the data you collect will upload to Ocean Conservancy’s global ocean trash database in real time. It’s easier and more fun than using the paper data cards! You can download the app here:
In 2016 more than 18 million pounds of trash was collected by over 500,000 volunteers during the International Coastal Cleanup. Here in Miami Dade, we collected 15,000 pounds of marine debris from 31 miles of coastline.
By volunteering at ICC, you will be actively participating in a global citizen science project, not only by removing marine debris, but by also cataloging and tallying what you find using the Ocean Conservancy’s data collection cards or Clean Swell App. The resulting item-by-item, location-by-location Ocean Trash Index that Ocean Conservancy compiles each year provides the only global snapshot of the marine debris littering coasts and waterways around the world.
We need your help to keep this momentum going.
**New for this year, the Miami version of the official 2017 International Coastal Cleanup t-shirt, with this year’s whales shark design is for sale. Shirts are $9 + s/h Order online here:
Surfside, FL 33154
Google map and directions