SFAEP - Sandspur Islands at Oleta River State Park | International Coastal (Paddle) Cleanup
Rescheduled to Oct 28
Ocean trash is a serious pollution problem that affects the health of people, wildlife, and local economies. Join the world’s largest volunteer effort for our ocean and waterways by participating in International Coastal Cleanup. We will provide garbage bags, cards, sunscreen, insect repellent, and a giveaway goodie bag!
Community Service hours provided!
Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all information and details about the event and better plan for capacity.
- Meeting at BG Oleta River Outdoors in Oleta River State Park (www.floridastateparks.org/park/Oleta-River)
- Transportation to the islands cannot be provided by SFAEP or FMNP, but a limited number of FREE canoe/kayak rentals will be provided by BG Oleta River Outdoors. Thanks.
- Wear comfortable clothes and closed-toed shoes like sneakers for working in mangroves (no flip-flops!)
- Sunglasses and hat are highly recommended
- Bring gloves (we suggest reusable working, gardening or dish gloves that you can pick up at the grocery-store/home depot)
- Bags for trash removal will be provided
- Bring snacks and water in a reusable container. Let’s reduce waste and refuse single-use disposable plastic water bottles, when possible.
- **If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver below in advance. Download Waiver Volunteers must check-in and sign waivers before any materials (bags, cards, or gift bags can be distributed)
Before the event, download the Ocean Conservancy's CleanSwell app to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. With Clean Swell, the data you collect will upload to Ocean Conservancy’s global ocean trash database in real time. It’s easier and more fun than using the paper data cards! You can download the app here:
Additional information about International Coastal Cleanup:
In 2016 more than 18 million pounds of trash was collected by over 500,000 volunteers during the International Coastal Cleanup. Here in Miami Dade, we collected 15,000 pounds of marine debris from 31 miles of coastline.
By volunteering at ICC, you will be actively participating in a global citizen science project, not only by removing marine debris but by also cataloging and tallying what you find using the Ocean Conservancy’s data collection cards or Clean Swell App. The resulting item-by-item, location-by-location Ocean Trash Index that Ocean Conservancy compiles each year provides the only global snapshot of the marine debris littering coasts and waterways around the world.
We need your help to keep this momentum going.
**New for this year, the Miami version of the official 2017 International Coastal Cleanup t-shirt, with this year’s whales shark design is for sale. Shirts are $9 + s/h and can be pre-ordered up until 1 week before the cleanup want to have your shirt to wear on the day-of Order online here: Sales will remain online after the event
North Miami Beach, FL 33160
Google map and directions