Edrington Kayak Island Cleanup
Celebrate Earth Day with a group of your colleagues for a fun day on the water and shoreline cleanup hosted by VolunteerCleanup.org. We'll help protect Biscayne Bay while collecting important citizen science data, and compete for the chance to win cool prizes for whoever finds the strangest thing!
**VolunteerCleaunp.og provide all of the supplies for the cleanup (gloves, bags, pickers, buckets, sunscreen, insect repellent, hand-sani)
The paddle to the island is a short 15 minute trip and you will be in double kayaks. If anyone is new to kayaking they can be paired up with a stronger experienced paddler.
- Dress for the weather, and wear closed toed shoes or water shoes if you have them—no flip flops or sandals as the shoreline is rocky in some places! Hat and sunglasses are also recommended for a hot and sunny day. You will get slightly wet while kayaking so dress accordingly. You may want to paddle barefoot and we will give you bags for your shoes for the paddle over tot he island.
- Please bring water in a reusable bottle so we can reduce plastic waste where possible. We will provide water coolers for cold water refills but will not be providing bottled water.
- Download the Clean Swell App to participate in the Citizen Science Data Logging.
- WAIVERS: Volunteers must check-in and sign waivers before you start. Completing the online waiver in advance will expedite check-in
Parking and Arrival: Please arrive promptly no later than 9:30am, so we can get in the water on time.
There is ample parking all over Morningside Park, but best to park by the Morningside Watersports Concession at the first parking lot you see when you enter the park, here: https://goo.gl/maps/aXbmgZSZTrPWeNXTA
Meet us at one of the picnic tables by the shoreline where we will be set up
Breakdown of activities for 3-hour Kayak cleanup:
- Volunteers arrive and check-in (10 min)
- Introduction and safety briefing (10 min)
- Explain tasks, distribute supplies (10 min)
- Paddle to the Island (15 minutes)
- Shoreline Cleanup, Citizen Science Data logging (1 hour)
- Paddle back to Morningside Park (15 minutes)
- Regroup at check-in point (30 min)
- Marine Debris discussion, Q&A, and key takeaways, potential solutions
- Count and weigh the bags to quantify the impact
- Take group photo
Miami, FL 33137
Google map and directions