Mega-Recycling-Cleanup at Oleta River State Park led by the Friends and Young Friends of Oleta River State Park!!! 💚♻️🐠🐟🐬
Ocean trash is a serious pollution problem affecting the health of people, ecosystems, wildlife, and local economies. Let's make an impact...our goal is to separate out a high percentage of litter for recycling, given much of the shoreline trash at Oleta can be recycled! Thanks to a successful Recycling Pilot w/ the Young Friends, the Park now has started to recycle using our Friends' donated bins!
Please join us and become part of the world's largest VOLUNTEER effort to protect + help restore our waterways and oceans via the OCEAN CONSERVANCY'S International Coastal Cleanup! Community Service Hours Provided!
For our WONDERFUL Volunteers we will have Starbucks coffee to start the day - please bring a reusable cup as we kick off the CLEANUP litter-free
- Please wear closed-toed shoes and/or water-resistant footwear
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and/or a hat are suggested
- Insect Repellant is highly recommended
- Please bring your choice of gloves (waterproof is the best choice)
- Let's make this a single-use-plastic-FREE event - PLEASE bring a reusable water bottle or tumbler
- International Coastal Cleanup organizers will provide garbage bags, data collection cards, and a giveaway goodie bag.
- Volunteers must check-in and sign waivers before any materials(bags, cards, or gift bags can be distributed)
- All participants will need to sign in with the Friends and sign the Park waiver
Before the event, download the Ocean Conservancy’s CleanSwell app to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. With Clean Swell, the data you collect will upload to Ocean Conservancy’s global ocean trash database in real time. It’s easier and more fun than using the paper data cards! You can download the app here:
Last year, more than 18 million pounds of trash were collected by about 500,000 volunteers during the International Coastal Cleanup. In Miami-Dade County, local cleanups deviated 15,000 LBS. of potential marine debris/litter along 31 miles of coastline.
GLOBAL CITIZEN SCIENCE - The Friends and Young Friends of Oleta hope to generate useful data for the Park and the WORLD! We encourage you to download the OC Clean Swell App to enter litter details, or carefully complete the provided Ocean Conservancy's (OC) Data Collection Cards.
Thank for JOINING US to make our world environments more healthy, sustainable and resilient!
**New for this year, the Miami version of the official 2017 International Coastal Cleanup t-shirt, with this year’s whales shark design is for sale. Shirts are $9 + s/h and can be pre-ordered now until September 6th if you want to have your shirt to wear to the cleanup on September 16th Order online here: