Surfrider Miami Beach | South Pointe Beach | International Coastal Cleanup2021
** This site is sold out - CLICK HERE to see all the other ICC Sites **
It’s time for the 36th annual International Coastal Cleanup! Join us for the world's largest, one-day volunteer effort for our oceans and waterways, and show your commitment to reducing marine debris, along with millions of volunteers from across the globe!
Spearheaded globally by the Ocean Conservancy, VolunteerCleanup.org organizes Miami-Dade County’s local participation in this worldwide event with 45+ simultaneous shoreline cleanups around the county. The Miami-Dade ICC is made possible by the generous support of our tidal sponsor Covanta, with additional support from Banesco USA, Blackstone Charitable Foundation, Miami-Dade County RER-DERM, Pubbelly Sushi, WPLG Local 10, and with special thanks to the Benjamin & Gloria Joannou, Jr. Family Conservation Fund.
We will provide garbage bags, gloves, data collection cards, and a souvenir tote bag with this year’s marine animal theme, the Octopus! *Community Service hours will be provided*. This year's shirts are available for purchase here!
Registration is required to participate. Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all information and details about the event and can accurately plan for turnout.
Details for this site:
- Keep in mind that parking in Miami Beach is tough and not cheap. We recommend carpooling.
- We will have a sign in table on the beach behind Nikki Beach Club. Look for the blue Surfrider tent!
- We will provide all necessary cleanup gear (buckets, pickers, gloves, trash bags, etc.)
Info for Volunteers:
- COVID RULES - Please wear face masks for check-in and when you cannot be 6 feet away from non-family members
- Dress for the weather, hat, sunglasses and closed toe shoes recommended
- Bring you reusable water bottle, we will have coolers with cold water on hand
- Complete the online waiver here in advance to expedite check-in. **If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian print and sign the waiver HERE in advance.
- All participants under 18 must have a waiver signed by a parent or guardian
- Download the Ocean Conservancy’s CleanSwell app to participate in the Citizen Science activity to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. It is easier and more fun than using the paper data cards!
About International Coastal Cleanup:
Scientists estimate that more than 17 billion pounds of plastic enters our ocean every year threatening marine life from corals polyps to sharks, the health of people, and local economies.
Over the past 36 years, Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup has brought together nearly 13 million people from over 150 countries to collect nearly 250 million pounds of trash along our coastlines and waterways. Every year during Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup, volunteers comb lakes, rivers and beaches around the world for trash picking up everything imaginable along the world’s shorelines: cigarette butts, food wrappers, abandoned fishing gear and even automobiles and kitchen appliances.
By volunteering at ICC, you will be actively participating in a global citizen science project, not only by removing marine debris, but by also cataloguing and tallying what you find using the Ocean Conservancy’s data collection cards or Clean Swell app. The resulting item-by-item, location-by-location Ocean Trash Index that Ocean Conservancy compiles each year provides the only global snapshot of the marine debris littering coasts and waterways around the world.
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Google map and directions