NSU Sound Gaze: Deaf Awareness Organization - Wolf Lake Park Clean up
We are volunteering to pick up trash and garbage, which can be risky. There can absolutely be sharp items such as broken glass, hypodermic needles, metal with sharp edges, wood with nails, dead animals etc.
**Needle Precautions: Should you find a needle, do not put it inside a garbage bag where it could poke someone. A best practice is to alert the host and those around you,(The host, wearing protective gloves, to carefully pick up the needle and put it INSIDE a water bottle and put the cap back on to prevent harm to anyone else and throw the bottle away inside a garbage can.) Likewise, be cautious with other sharp rusty objects that may poke through the garbage bag.
You may be climbing on or over rocks, or working in areas that have holes covered by grass. You are responsible for your own actions and safety, and neither volunteercleanup.org or the host of this event is liable for any accidents. We really want you to be safe and practice common sense. Always wear appropriate closed-toed shoes with good traction, gloves to protect your hands, and sunscreen to prevent sunburn. Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. I like to work in pairs and if you aren’t sure about something, ask for another opinion or assistance. Do not touch anything that makes you uncomfortable. If you are bringing kids, teens, or young adults, take the time to educate them on proper safety and lead by example. We need you to stay safe!
- Dress for the weather and wear shoes that are comfortable for hiking. We recommend close-toed shoes like sneakers. Hats, sunglasses, and mosquito repellent are also recommended for a hot and sunny day.
- Please bring water in a reusable bottle so we can reduce plastic waste where possible. We will provide water coolers for cold, filtered water refills but will not be providing bottled water.
- Download the Clean Swell App from your app store to participate in the Citizen Science Data Logging. You will work in teams of 2-3 people.
Parking and Arrival:
- Parking is free but very limited. We suggest carpooling in order to provide space for others.
- Upon arrival, we will discuss tasks and goals.
Schedule: Organizers will be in the venue from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
- Meet and Greet
- Activity breakdown and Rules
- Supply Distribution
- 11:00 AM Break
- 1:00 PM Return supplies, and depart if desired
- 2:00 PM Organizers leave
Davie, FL 33314
Google map and directions