City of Coral Gables Launch Site UM Paddleboards
Join us for the world's largest, one-day volunteer effort for our oceans and waterways, and show your commitment to reducing marine debris, along with millions of volunteers from across the globe!
Spearheaded globally by the Ocean Conservancy, VolunteerCleanup.org organizes Miami-Dade County’s local participation in this annual event with 45+ simultaneous shoreline cleanups around the county and is made possible by the generous support of our presenting sponsors Covanta and Rickenbacker Marina, with additional support from Blackstone Charitable Foundation, Verizon, Miami-Dade County RER-DERM, Pubbelly Sushi, and Greenberg Traurig.
We will provide garbage bags, gloves, data collection cards, and a souvenir tote bag with this year’s marine animal theme, the Hermit Crab. *Community Service hours also provided*
Registration is required to participate. Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all information and details about the event and can accurately plan for turnout.
Details for this site:
- Parking Information: There is a Public Parking Lot at 4600 Ponce De Leon Blvd which is a 5 minute walk.
- Check-in will be at the Launch Site on US1 and Riviera. The Paddleboards will be located at the launch site.
- This event is suitable for 18+
- The Paddleboard Cleanup is limited to UM Students ONLY. If you want to participate in a land based cleanup please register here https://www.volunteercleanup.org/kennedypark/city_of_coral_gables_launch_site?recruiter_id=1159
Info for Volunteers:
- Complete the online waiver here: (we will edit this later and insert waiver link for your site) **If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver HERE in advance.
- Download the Ocean Conservancy’s CleanSwell app to participate in the Citizen Science activity to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. It is easier and more fun than using the paper data cards!
- Dress for the weather and wear appropriate footwear. This is a Paddleboard site, and you should wear closed toe shoes. (For beach sites: Appropriate footwear that you are comfortable walking on sand in. For mangrove sites or rocky shorelines: Volunteers must wear closed-toed shoes like sneakers, no flipflops or sandals!)
- Sunglasses, hat, and sunscreen are recommended
- If you have your own reusable working or gardening type gloves, bring them. We will be providing gloves but cannot guarantee they will be in your size.
- Please bring water in a reusable container. Let’s reduce waste and refuse single-use disposable plastic water bottles.
- Some volunteers like to use a bucket during a cleanup. Ask your local Chinese, Burger or Bakery/Donut shop if they get food service items in 5-gallon buckets that they would like to donate for use during your cleanup!
*Read more about the history and impact of the International Coastal Cleanup here: https://oceanconservancy.org/trash-free-seas/international-coastal-cleanup/
Coral Gables, FL 33146
Google map and directions