Crandon Park North Beach | International Coastal Cleanup
Scientists estimate that more than 17 billion pounds of plastic enters our ocean every year threatening marine life from corals polyps to sharks, the health of people, and local economies. Join us for the 33rd annual International Coastal Cleanup (ICC) the world's largest, one-day volunteer effort for our oceans and waterways, and show your commitment to reducing marine debris, along with volunteers from across the globe!
Presented by Covanta, VolunteerCleanup.org organizes Miami-Dade’s participation in this global event with 45+ simultaneous shoreline cleanups around the county and is made possible with additional support from The City of Miami Beach and MB Rising Above, Capital One, Revolution 93.5 FM, and MB Miami Beach Suncare.
We will provide garbage bags, data collection cards, sunscreen, insect repellent, and a souvenir tote bag with this year’s marine animal theme, the Puffer Fish!
*Community Service hours also provided.
Where possible, please have guests in your party RSVP individually so we can ensure they get all the information and details about the event and can accurately plan for turnout.
- Dress for the weather in clothes that you do no mind getting dirty and wear close-toed shoes that can get wet.
Sunglasses, hats, and sunscreen are highly recommended
- Bring gloves if you have them (we suggest reusable working, gardening or dish gloves that you can pick up at the grocery store/home depot) We will have some onsite but cannot guarantee they will be in your size!
- Bring water in a reusable container. Let’s reduce waste and refuse single-use disposable plastic water bottles, where possible.
- **If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver below in advance.
- Volunteers must check-in and sign waivers before any materials (bags, cards, or gift bags) can be distributed.
Before the event, download the Ocean Conservancy’s CleanSwell app to participate in the Citizen Science activity to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. It’s easier and more fun than using the paper data cards!
- Volunteers should check-in at the bus pavilion in front of the Crandon Park Nature Center which is located at Crandon Park North Beach
- There is no need to pay for parking. Volunteers will be provided with parking passes.
- This is a family-friendly event. Minors should be accompanied by an adult.
- The heat levels in September are still high at Crandon Park, so please take that into account when bringing friends and family members.
About International Coastal Cleanup:
Over the past 33 years, Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup has brought together nearly 13 million people from over 150 countries to collect nearly 250 million pounds of trash along our coastlines and waterways. Every year during Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup®, volunteers comb lakes, rivers and beaches around the world for trash picking up everything imaginable along the world’s shorelines: cigarette butts, food wrappers, abandoned fishing gear and even automobiles and kitchen appliances.
By volunteering at ICC, you will be actively participating in a global citizen science project, not only by removing marine debris, but by also cataloguing and tallying what you find using the Ocean Conservancy’s data collection cards or Clean Swell app. The resulting item-by-item, location-by-location Ocean Trash Index that Ocean Conservancy compiles each year provides the only global snapshot of the marine debris littering coasts and waterways around the world
Miami, FL 33149
Google map and directions