SSoBe Lummus Park | Int'l Coastal Cleanup Day 2020 | Team Coast Guard
Help Team Coast Guard Keep our Beaches Clean at our Lummus Park 8th - 16th Street SoBe Cleanup Site!!!
This year, we are approaching things differently for safety. To ensure social distancing, we will have 4 different staggered check-in times and no more than 10 people per shift. Please signup for your preferred arrival time (9:00am, 9:30am, 10:00am, or 10:30am) and please aim to arrive on time, allowing plenty of time for parking.
Family, friends, co-workers, and associates are invited and encouraged to join eco-conscious Coasties in our on-going efforts to Protect & Preserve our beaches. Ocean trash is a serious pollution problem that affects the health of people, wildlife, and local economies. The 34th annual International Coastal Cleanup Day is harnessing the Power of People to Fight Ocean Trash! Join us for the world's largest, one-day volunteer effort for our oceans and waterways, and show your commitment to reducing marine debris, along with volunteers from across the globe!
What You'll Need ...
- Face Coverings required per City of Miami Beach emergency orders for COVID
- Dress for the weather. Please wear comfortable light-weight clothing, as temperatures can soar before Noon and your health and proper hydration are a priority!!
- Wear closed-toed shoes (i.e. sneakers, no flip-flops or sandals).
- Please bring your hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, bug spray, beach or hand towel, reusable water bottle, and gloves (working, gardening, or dish) if you have them.
- We will have some gloves on-site, but cannot guarantee they’ll be in your size.
- Bring water in a reusable container. Let’s reduce waste and refuse single-use disposable plastic water bottles, where possible. We will have coolers to refill your water bottle.
- Each volunteer must check-in and have signed the online waiver before any materials can be distributed. Online waivers will be emailed the week before the cleanup
- If you are under 18 and you'll be attending without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian fill out the waiver form in advance
Before the event, download the Ocean Conservancy’s CleanSwell app to participate in the Citizen Science activity to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. You can download the app here for iPhone and Andriod.
What Will Be Provided ...
International Coastal Cleanup Coordinators & Site Captain will provide trash bags and gloves. Community Service Hours also provided!
On Cleanup Day ...
Wearing masks, volunteers will meet your Site Captain (Nichole) at the entrance of Lummus Park on 11th Street and Ocean Drive to collect your cleanup supplies and to be briefed on safety and instructions for the cleanup. You are encouraged to carpool as parking on SoBe can be quite the task.
Help keep this historic initiative on track ... Invite your friends and Sign-up today!!!
About International Coastal Cleanup …
Scientists estimate that more than 17 billion pounds of plastic enter our ocean every year threatening marine life from corals polyps to sharks, the health of people, and local economies
Over the past 35 years, Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup has brought together nearly 13 million people from over 150 countries to collect nearly 250 million pounds of trash along our coastlines and waterways.
Every year during Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup, volunteers comb lakes, rivers, and beaches around the world for trash picking up everything imaginable along the world’s shorelines: cigarette butts, food wrappers, abandoned fishing gear, and even automobiles and kitchen appliances.
By volunteering at ICC, you will be actively participating in a global citizen science project, not only by removing marine debris but by also cataloguing and tallying what you find using the Ocean Conservancy’s data collection cards or Clean Swell app. The resulting item-by-item, location-by-location Ocean Trash Index that Ocean Conservancy compiles each year provides the only global snapshot of the marine debris littering coasts and waterways around the world.
Until then, thank you for your interest in volunteering with Team Coast Guard, and we hope to see you on International Coastal Cleanup Day!!!
Miami Beach, FL 33139-5080
Google map and directions