SoBe Lummus Park | Team USCG | ICC2021
Help Team Coast Guard Keep our Beaches Clean at our Lummus Park 8th - 16th Street SoBe Cleanup Site!!!
Family, friends, co-workers, and associates are invited and encouraged to join eco-conscious Coasties in our on-going efforts to Protect & Preserve our beaches during the 36th annual International Coastal Cleanup Day. Ocean trash is a serious pollution problem that affects the health of people, wildlife, and local economies.
Spearheaded globally by the Ocean Conservancy, VolunteerCleanup.org organizes Miami-Dade County’s local participation in this worldwide event with 45+ simultaneous shoreline cleanups around the county. The Miami-Dade ICC is made possible by the generous support of our tidal sponsor Covanta, with additional support from Banesco USA, Blackstone Charitable Foundation, Miami-Dade County RER-DERM, Pubbelly Sushi, WPLG Local 10, and with special thanks to the Benjamin & Gloria Joannou, Jr. Family Conservation Fund.
Join us for the world's largest, one-day volunteer effort for our oceans and waterways, and show your commitment to reducing marine debris, along with volunteers from across the globe! This year's shirts are available for purchase here!
What You'll Need ...
- Face Coverings required per City of Miami Beach emergency orders for COVID.
- Dress for the weather. Please wear comfortable light-weight clothing, as temperatures can soar before Noon and your health and proper hydration are a priority!!
- Wear closed-toed shoes (i.e. sneakers, no flip-flops or sandals).
- Please bring your hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, bug spray, beach or hand towel, and gloves (working, gardening, or dish) if you have them.
- Bring water in a reusable container. Let’s reduce waste and refuse single-use disposable plastic water bottles.
- Complete the online waiver here in advance to expedite check-in. **If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian print and sign the waiver HERE in advance.
- Download the Ocean Conservancy’s CleanSwell app to participate in the Citizen Science activity to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup. You can download the app here for iPhone and Andriod.
What Will Be Provided ...
International Coastal Cleanup Coordinators & Site Captain will provide trash bags, gloves, data collections cards, and a souvenir tote bag with this year’s marine animal theme, the Octopus! Certificates for Community Service Hours will also be provided!
On Cleanup Day ...
Please arrive no later than 8:45am. Volunteers will meet your Site Captain (Nichole) at the entrance of Lummus Park on 11th Street and Ocean Drive. Upon arrival, you will collect your cleanup supplies and gather into groups. Volunteers will be briefed on safety and data collection instructions at 8:55am. Cleanup will wrap-up at 12:00pm. You are encouraged to carpool as parking on SoBe can be quite the task.
Help keep this historic initiative on track ... Invite your friends and Sign-up today!!!
About International Coastal Cleanup …
Scientists estimate that more than 17 billion pounds of plastic enters our ocean every year threatening marine life from corals polyps to sharks, the health of people, and local economies
Over the past 36 years, Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup has brought together nearly 13 million people from over 150 countries to collect nearly 250 million pounds of trash along our coastlines and waterways.
Every year during Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup, volunteers comb lakes, rivers and beaches around the world for trash picking up everything imaginable along the world’s shorelines: cigarette butts, food wrappers, abandoned fishing gear, and even automobiles and kitchen appliances.
By volunteering at ICC, you will be actively participating in a global citizen science project, not only by removing marine debris, but by also cataloguing and tallying what you find using the Ocean Conservancy’s data collection cards or Clean Swell app. The resulting item-by-item, location-by-location Ocean Trash Index that Ocean Conservancy compiles each year provides the only global snapshot of the marine debris littering coasts and waterways around the world.
Until then, thank you for your interest in volunteering with Team Coast Guard; and we hope to see you on International Coastal Cleanup Day!!!
Miami Beach, FL 33139-5080
Google map and directions