Morningside Picnic Islands (by kayak) with International SeaKeepers Society | ICC 2020
Join The International SeaKeepers Society for the first of two cleanups for International Coastal Cleanup 2020!
This is a kayak cleanup, leaving from Morningside Park and heading to the picnic islands (about a 15 minute paddle each way) BYO kayak, SUP board, or canoe.
CHECK IN FOR THE EVENT IS FROM 3:00PM - 3:15PM. IF YOU DO NOT ARRIVE ONTIME, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CLEANUP*. If you and your guests are not on the list, you also will not be able to participate. I sent out an email last week to the email address you provided with more information.
We will provide:
- Garbage bags
Community Service hours also provided.
Meeting Point: Morningside Park 750 NE 55th Ter. Miami, FL 33137 at 3pm, event will run until 6pm.
- Dress for the weather and wear closed-toed shoes
- Sun Protection (sunscreen, sunglasses and hat) are highly recommended
- Bring gloves if you have them (we suggest reusable working, gardening or dish gloves that you can pick up at the grocery store/home depot) We will have some onsite but cannot guarantee your size
- Bring water in a reusable container. Let’s reduce waste and refuse single-use disposable plastic water bottles, where possible. Water will be available for refills
- Volunteers must check-in and sign waivers before any materials. Online waiver will be email 1 week before the cleanup.
- **If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver form in advance
Before the event, download the Ocean Conservancy’s CleanSwell app to participate in the Citizen Science activity to log, tally and measure the impact of your cleanup.
About the International Coastal Cleanup:
Scientists estimate that more than 17 billion pounds of plastic enter our ocean every year threatening marine life from corals polyps to sharks, the health of people, and local economies
Over the past 34 years, Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup has brought together nearly 13 million people from over 150 countries to collect nearly 250 million pounds of trash along our coastlines and waterways.
Every year during Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup, volunteers comb lakes, rivers, and beaches around the world for trash picking up everything imaginable along the world’s shorelines: cigarette butts, food wrappers, abandoned fishing gear and even automobiles and kitchen appliances.
By volunteering at ICC, you will be actively participating in a global citizen science project, not only by removing marine debris but by also cataloging and tallying what you find using the Ocean Conservancy’s data collection cards or Clean Swell app. The resulting item-by-item, location-by-location Ocean Trash Index that Ocean Conservancy compiles each year provides the only global snapshot of the marine debris littering coasts and waterways around the world.
Miami, FL 33137-2334
Google map and directions