US Sailing Coconut Grove Coastal Clean-Up
US Sailing is making a commitment to increasing our sustainability practices in 2019. As a part of this effort, we’re creating more opportunities for the US Sailing Team to make a positive impact on the environment.
Join the US Sailing Team athletes for the first international Hempel World Cup Series Coastal Clean-Up!
Community members and sailors from visiting countries are invited to join the US Sailing Team in their efforts to clean up the sailing venue of the 2019 Hempel World Cup Series Miami. The clean-up is sponsored by World Sailing in partnership with VolunteerCleanup.org and the Coconut Grove Sailing Club. Read below to find out how you can join our sailors in cleaning up the Grove.
Volunteers will check-in at Regatta Park to get instructions and pick up the cleanup supplies, and then will be directed to nearby shorelines to remove debris, where on-site leaders will supervise the cleanup at those areas. Locations include Kenneth Myers Park, the stretch of mangroves by Prime Marina and Shake a Leg, and the spoil islands for anyone who has their own boat transportation to the nearby islands.
The exact meeting spot for check-in TBD but will be sent out to registered volunteers email the week before the event.
** VolunteerCleanup.org will provide all supplies for the cleanup (gloves, buckets, garbage bags, pickers, sunscreen, water, hand sanitizer etc) and a water cooler for filtered cold water refills.
- Dress for the weather and wear closed toed shoes—no flip flops or sandals! Hat and sunglasses are also recommended for a hot and sunny day.
- Please bring water in a reusable bottle so we can reduce plastic waste where possible. We will provide water coolers for cold water refills but will not be providing bottled water.
- Download the Clean Swell App from your app store to participate in the Citizen Science Data Logging. You will work in teams of 2-3ppl
- Volunteers must check in and sign waivers before you start. Download Waiver Pre-signing and bringing with you will help expedite check-in!
Breakdown of activities for the cleanup:
- Volunteers arrive and check-in (10 min)
- Introduction and safety briefing (10 min)
- Explain tasks, distribute supplies, assign areas (10 min)
- Shoreline Cleanup, Citizen Science Data logging (45 min-1 hour)
- Regroup at check-in point (30 min)
- Return Supplies
- Report out of the total weight gathered
- Marine Debris discussion, Q&A, and key takeaways, potential solutions
- Take group photo
Miami, FL 33133
Google map and directions